Tue, 22 Sep 2020

BEIRUT, Aug. 11 (Xinhua) -- David Beasley, executive director of the United Nations World Food Program (WFP), said the WFP will offer food to Lebanese following Beirut's blasts, Elnashra news website reported on Tuesday.

"We will work together to make sure that the Lebanese people get what they want and need in terms of food," Beasley said during his tour along with Lebanon's caretaker Public Works Transport Minister Michel Najjar at the port of Tripoli.

"We will do everything we can to help people since many of them have lost their jobs," he added.

Beasley emphasized the importance of port of Tripoli at this moment because it is impossible to feed people without the existence of a port.

Meanwhile, Ahmed Tamer, head of the port of Tripoli, said that the port is ready to receive the largest ship in the world including wheat, grains and other materials needed by the Lebanese.

Circulated media reports stated that all wheat stocks stored at Port of Beirut were destroyed at a time when the country is facing unique economic challenges.

The WFP announced earlier that it would be sending 50,000 tonnes of wheat flour to Beirut to stabilize Lebanon's wheat supply.

More Germany News

Access More

Sign up for Germany News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!